Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ARTIST OF THE WEEK: KALEN [TACOMA]

www.myspace.com/kalenandjames

Blak: I LIKE TO ALWAYS START MY INTERVIEWS WITH, WHAT WAS THE FIRST HIPHOP ALBUM
YOU PURCHASED?

Kalen:The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest. I was 8 years old watching Yo! MTV raps. I saw the video for Jazz (we've got). I still listen to that album at least a couple times a month.

Blak: That’s def a classic. That would be a first, usually cats say pac or biggie, its good to see someone holla out Tribe.

Blak: NOT ALOT OF CATS KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT LOCAL HIPHOP
AND WHY YOUR MUSIC DIFFERS FROM OTHER ARTIST IN THE AREA. TELL ME WHAT MAKES KALEN
SO DIFFERENT?

Kalen:
To me hip hop is about having fun, making a crowd laugh, smile, or just have a good time. I'm burnt on "conscious" MCs that continuously rap about the struggles in their lives. Don't get me wrong, I have mad respect for all types of underground music, but most of it just doesn't spark my interest or keep my ears entertained. With that said, I feel like that sets me aside from a lot of the other cats in the scene. Secondly, the majority of what I listen to is east coast hip hop circa 1993 to 2000. Artists like A tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, De La Soul, Nas, Biggie, Jeru and of course the muthafuckin Wu-Tang Clan [currently reading the Wu Tang Manual written by the Rza]. And from what I've been told those influences are very visable in my music.

Blak: Its always good to get the crowd into your shows with a little comedy. Most of the shows I attend the MC’s are really serious about getting the point of each track over the audience, as I checked your show on Saturday you kind of had the crowd waiting to hear your next punch line. Dope.

Blak: AND NOT ALOT OF CATS KNOW THAT YOUR PASSION IS REALY WITH PRODUCING. DO YOU FEEL
THAT THE AREA DOESNT HAVE ENOUGH DEDICATED PRODUCERS?

Kalen: That's a hard question for a couple reasons. Firstly, I've been recording and making music since I was about 17, but not until recently have I exposed it to the local scene. (Kudos to myspace) Secondly, I feel like there could be hundreds of great producers in this city who are still sitting in front of computers in their mom’s basement. Who I think is tight though is Todd Sykes, he's on that J Dilla/MF Doom sampling tip that I love. He's the shit.

Blak: Mos def there is a lot of outlets for producers to get their music to the people, nearly more so than MC’s. I would personally like to see a lot more of the new generation get on the production tip.

Blak: IF YOU COULD CHOOSE TO DO MUSIC IN ANY OTHER CITY, WERE WOULD IT BE?

Kalen: New York City

Blak: A lot of competition in NY. Gotta come with your “A” game!

Blak: I KNOW LOCALLY I HAVE SEEN YOU PERFORM WITH NUMEROUS ARTIST AND BANDS, ANY PARTICULAR
ARTIST OR BAND YOU LOVE TO DO SHOWS WITH?

Kalen: Evergreen One

Blak: shot out to E1!

Blak: SO THAT LEADS ME TO THIS. WHO’S YOUR TOP 5 ARTIST IN THE NORTHWEST, NOT JUST TACOMA, THE NORTHWEST.
GO!

Kalen: I'm gonna have to pass on that question because I don't really listen to Northwest cats to have any favorites.

Blak: That’s interesting. We might have to talk off record about this one!

Blak: SO, WHATS IN THE FUTURE? ALBUMS, MIXTAPES, SHOWS. WHAT SHOULD WE BE LOOKING OUT FOR?

Kalen: Hopefully all three. I'm working on finishing a demo to turn into local labels just to see what happens. I love playing shows and it seems like I am getting opportunities for more of those which is cool. That's funny because I actually started thinking about making a mixtape yesterday!

Blak: I have yet to hear a Kalen mixtape, you gotta serve us with one soon.


Blak: WHAT ARTIST AND PRODUCERS ARE YOU GOING TO BE WORKING WITH ON THESE FUTURE PROJECTS?

Kalen:
Someone who makes this all possible for me is my good friend/recording engineer, John Mcrae. He recently graduated from the Art Institute of Seattle with a recording degree, so he knows his shit. Once I make a beat I go to his studio and we make shit happen. He's like my right hand man. He also does live sound for me which is a definite plus as far as performing is concerned. Other than that, me and Glenn (Evergreen one) have a couple of joints that you may be hearing in the near future. One of which is up on my myspace right now called Bullshit. I didn't make that beat though it came from a MF Doom mixtape called Special Herbs.

Blak:
No doubt. You don’t hear a lot of MC’s showing love to their engineers, we need more of that. That’s the man that makes your music sound beautiful. Shout out to all the engineers that don’t get no love!


Blak:
ANY LAST WORDS?

Kalen:
I keep my lump game strong.

Blak:
Word. LOL

Listen to Kalen's latest single:Kalen - In Case You Didn't Know

No comments: