Sunday, June 1, 2008

Saigon Leaves Atlantic Records!


After numerous delayed release dates for his debut album, rapper Saigon has officially departed Atlantic Records, to which he signed in 2004.

A lone single, "Pain in My Life," failed to take off, peaking at No. 91 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart in 2007.

Saigon says he's in talks with several major labels as well as a non-traditional music company for his next artist deal. His latest single, "Believe It," was released today (May 21) via TheMegatrondon2.com. Saigon says he has seven viral videos ready to release but was waiting until his contract was resolved.

"I'm not that excited about going to a major label," Saigon says. "They would have to make it so I'm set for the rest of my life. They want too much for the little that they're giving."

"It's not like I didn't want to put out music," he continues. "But Atlantic wanted me to do ringtone songs but they didn't sign me as a ringtone artist."

Saigon adds that he was left "without much support" when the A&R rep who signed him, Kyambo "Hip-Hop" Joshua, left to join Columbia three months afterward.

"They gave me $18,000 to shoot the video for 'Pain In My Life' and I'm seeing Plies get $100,000 and Lupe [Fiasco] get $150,000," he says. "What the f*ck? Those artists are friends of mine, but now I'm happier than I've been in a minute."

Atlantic was unavailable for comment at deadline.

Meanwhile, Saigon says he may return this season to the HBO series "Entourage," on which he first appeared in 2006.

SOURCE: BILLBOARD.COM


Blak Mic Says - "Its about fucking time, I cant believe he waited almost 4 years to make this decision. I wouldnt extpect a label like Atlantic to treat an artist as such. If we the hardcore backing of one of the industries all time best producers, this dude still couldnt get his label to act right. I would like to see him go to either Def Jam or Geffen, please dont fucking go to KOCH!!! We will see....Talk to me people!!!

1 comment:

john crown said...

definately on the same boat as you..saigon got a song with jay-z that blew my mind away.. I'm surprised he didn't take off.. I call saigon the east coast crooked I.. I know they're totally different artists, but the streets love these dudes, and labels keep jerkin em'..